Skip to main content

Paris: mesmerising and electrifying


28/7/17
Our first day in Paris. We arrived at 8am, and the first word I read on a French sign was ‘sortie’. Not an exit, but an entrance though, as I couldn’t believe how lucky I was to be in sweet, divine and classy Paris.
We first tried our hand at getting a French phone and then navigating the metro system, to reach Sarah and Leila’s place in the 7th District, close to Ecole Militaire. It is a 10 minute walk to the Eiffel tower, so after having a delicious lunch of vegetable soup and escargot, we ventured out on the town. We visited the Eiffel Tower, walked along the Seine River, Saw Diana’s memorial, visited the Arc De Triomphe and the Champs Elysse, the Modern Art Museum, the Grand and Little Palace, the Ecole Militaire, UNESCO and had the most extraordinary ice creams. We came back and went out shopping for dinner, taking many photographs of fleurs and boulangeries, and seeing the chocolate that David bought us back from Paris at Carrefour. We met with Sarah and Onur, who had a busy day with Sarah’s grandfather. We went to sleep quite early, and were so excited by how late the sun sets here! I’m so happy in Paris, there is this vibrant beauty that words cannot describe. How are the houses just like a postcard? How are the Parisians so classy, so beautiful in the way they talk?

29/6/17
The second day in Paris! Our breakfast was so delicious, yogurt with fruit and hard boiled eggs and a café au lait. We are visiting the Louvre and Notre Dame with Sarah today! The Louvre, oh where do I begin. Each floor (we didn’t see the top floor though as it was closed) is so replete with incredible beauty. My favourite section was the side rood to my left just before the Grand Palace, with all the kings and portraits of sculptors and painters. The wedding at Cana was stunning as well… and the Mona Lisa wasn’t too bad: P .
We then had a lunch of sardines and crackers, and headed to Notre Dame (so huge!). The Latin Quarter, where I spent ample time in Shakespeare and Co., watching the cat, reading books  and quotes, and playing the piano. We had a delicious café au lait at the café next door and then meandered around the area, discovering the Paris College and University, The Pantheon, The Luxemburg Gardens, many very awesome shops and much more. Paris is a city of strolling, taking in everything through one’s steps. I love that. Walking everywhere, everything so close. We even had time to visit Moulin Rouge and see the red wind mill, but no show (ahah). We considered visiting the big Tower of Paris (59 storeys!) and the catacombs, but we had a busy night ahead!
Once every year, Sarah’s street has a neighbourhood dinner, where everyone brings a dish and shares the spoils. We bought a scrumptous Apricot tart, and oh my, I’ve never seen so much cheese, meat and bread! It was so amazing sitting and dining late into the night with everyone, and I felt like I was part of this culture, even if only for a night. It was my favourite night in Paris by far!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beijing: the most packed 20hours of my life thus far....

26-27 June 2017 Every new adventure starts with a feeling of anticipation. Saying goodbye to everyone doesn’t feel real until you step into the airport and you’re faced with an onslaught of things to do and places to navigate. There wasn’t too much kerfuffle at the airport, only donating a tube of toothpaste at customs and grabbing some antioxidant rich juice before our flight. The dinner on the plane was excellent, some very tender beef rice and veggies which we supplemented with the classic - fruit and nut mix. But we were so over the moon (almost, but not quite), when we discovered that we had TWO vacant seats next to us! Before you could say Beijing, I was snoozing on the floor and Dad had 4 seats to lie down on! I awoke about an hour and a half before we landed, and I had a dream that I remembered on the plane about already arriving in Beijing and our names being on those green and white road signs that you often see.  I think that dream was a sign of g...